Pinning LCD display 1601A:
|4||RS||H/L Register select signal|
|5||RW||H/L Read/write signal|
|6||E||H->L Enable signal|
|7||DB0||H/L Data bus line|
|8||DB1||H/L Data bus line|
|9||DB2||H/L Data bus line|
|10||DB3||H/L Data bus line|
|11||DB4||H/L Data bus line|
|12||DB5||H/L Data bus line|
|13||DB6||H/L Data bus line|
|14||DB7||H/L Data bus line|
|15||A||4.2 Volt for LED|
|16||K||Power for supply B/L (0V)|
The CFAH1601AYYBJP is an LCD display with 5×8 character-dot space and 16 character positions and LED (yellow) backlite. It has an industry-standard HD44780 compatible controller chip on the back. An 8-bit or 4-bit parallel interface, and a very wide viewing angle. It operates on +5 Volt, and consumes only 1.2 mA which makes it good for battery usage, but the backlite-LED uses 130 [email protected], so make e.g. a button which activates the backlite, and then automatically let it switch off after three seconds. What also can be done with this display is making your own characters (up to 8 max. by internal RAM, called CGRAM = Character Generator RAM) The ROM consists of the complete ASCII character-set, and also the Japanese/Greek characters, a total of 192 character locations. When using the 4bit interface, you must transmit 2 * 4-bit for each instruction. To let the display operate, it first must be initialized (init procedure) (don’t forget to adjust the contrast (0.8V), else you won’t see nothing. Use a 10k potmeter) I will show both 4- and 8-bit interfaces. 4-bit because it saves 4 i/o’s of the microcontroller. 8-bit because it’s shorter code. Here all features this LCD has:
- Interface with either 4-bit or 8-bit microcontroller.
- Character generator ROM: 192 different 5 x 8 dot-matrix character patterns.
- Character generator RAM: 8 different user programmed 5 x 8 dotmatrix patterns.
- Display data ROM and character generator RAM may be accessed by the microcontroller.
- Numerous instructions: Clear Display, Cursor Home, Display ON/OFF, Cursor ON/OFF, Blink Character, Cursor Shift, Display Shift.
- Built-in reset circuit is triggered at power ON.
- Built-in oscillator (270 kHz)
1x 1×16 LCD (HD44780)
1x 4 MHz resonator
2x 100n multilayer
1x 100n MKH
1x 10k pot
For more detail: Pinning LCD display 1601 using microcontroller