The Optoelectronics group of Vishay Intertechnology, Inc. (NYSE: VSH) today introduced a new proximity sensor that offers a sensing distance of up to 30 cm. Combining an IR emitter, photo detectors for proximity, amplifiers, and ADC circuitry into a single package, the Vishay Semiconductors VCNL3040 features a programmable interrupt function and supports the I²C bus communication interface for efficient object and collision detection in a wide variety of consumer and industrial applications.
Ideally suited for use in smart home, industrial, office, and toy products, the device released today provides a 33 % increase in proximity detection distance compared to previous-generation sensors at a lower cost than similar solutions on the market. Applications include presence detection to activate displays in printers, copiers, and home appliances; collision detection in robots and toys; vehicle occupancy detection in parking lots; and proximity detection in lavatory appliances.
- Sensing distance up to 30 cm
- Programmable interrupt function allows designers to specify high and low thresholds, which reduces the continuous communication with the microcontroller
- Supports I²C bus communication interface
- Selectable 12-bit and 16-bit outputs • Intelligent cancellation eliminates cross-talk
- Smart persistence scheme ensures accurate sensing and faster response time
- Emitter wavelength peaks at 940 nm and has no visible “red-tail”
- Excellent temperature compensation from -40 °C to +85 °C • Offered in a lead-free 8-pin QFN package
- RoHS-compliant, halogen-free, and Vishay Green
The VCNL3040’s programmable interrupt function allows designers to specify high and low thresholds, which reduces the continuous communication with the microcontroller. Featuring selectable 12-bit and 16-bit outputs, the proximity sensor uses intelligent cancellation to eliminate cross-talk, while a smart persistence scheme ensures accurate sensing and faster response time. The emitter wavelength peaks at 940 nm and has no visible “red-tail.”
The device offers a supply voltage range of 2.5 V to 3.6 V, an I²C bus voltage range from 1.8 V to 3.3 V, and excellent temperature compensation from -40 °C to +85 °C. Offered in a lead-free 8-pin QFN package, the sensor is RoHS-compliant, halogen-free, and Vishay Green.