DFI or Diamond Flower Inc., a Taiwan based motherboard manufacturer is preparing to release an Ubuntu friendly 3.5-inch SBC “AL551” with an Apollo Lake SoC. It’s going to support Ubuntu 16.04, as well as Windows 10. We have already talked about PICO316, another “Apollo Lake” based SBC that runs both Linux and Windows 10.
The AL551 supports all of Intel’s Apollo Lake SoCs. Most notably the Intel Atom® Processor E3900 Series is supported. The 146 x 102mm SBC is equipped with up to 8GB DDR3L and offers a SATA III interface with power, with the option for a second SATA device if the available M.2 slot is populated. There’s also a mini-PCIe slot and an optional “extension I/O” connector. The AL551 also comes with one or two GbE ports.
Triple displays are supported via a VGA port, a 4K-ready DisplayPort++, and dual-channel LVDS with LCD panel and inverter support. The SBC is provided with 2x USB 3.0, 2x USB 2.0, and two more USB 2.0 headers, and if you’re planning to run Ubuntu, you can optionally order a USB Type-C port. There’s also a pair of 2x RS232/422/485 headers, audio I/O, DIO, SMBus, a watchdog, and optional TPM.
Specifications for the AL551:
- Processor: Intel “Apollo Lake” with Intel Gen9 (18 EU) graphics:
- Atom x7-E3950 (4x cores @ 1.6/2.0GHz. 12W TDP)
- Atom x5-E3940 (4x cores @ 1.6/1.8GHz. 9.5W TDP)
- Atom x5-E3930 (4x cores @ 1.3/1.8GHz. 6.5W TDP)
- Pentium N4200 (4x cores @ 1.1/2.5GHz, 6W TDP)
- Celeron N3350 (2x cores @ 1.1/2.4GHz, 6W TDP)
- Memory: Up to 8GB DDR3L-1866 via 1x SODIMM
- Storage: SATA III (6Gbps); SATA power; 2nd SATA III optional via M.2 B-key 2242 slot;
- Display: DisplayPort++ at up to 4096 x 2160 @ 60Hz
- VGA port at up to 2048 x 1536 @ 50Hz
- 2x 48-bit dual-channel LVDS at up to 1920 x 1200 @ 60Hz
- LVDS LCD panel connector and LCD/inverter power
- Triple display support